Monday 27 September 2010

Knit Picking


As the nights are getting longer and colder, knitting has taken over my time. Recently, I had a friend who got married and even though they didn’t have a gift list or ask for any wedding presents, I decided to give them a personal gift- a wedding blanket. Initially I wanted a cream blanket with a border and possibly some cable stitching down the side but I decided to knit something simple as I wanted to make it reversible. This is the image chart I settled upon:

With the pink border being moss stitch, the blue a straight knit only stitch and the heart a reverse stitch of the white area (if that makes sense). This is the result! I embroidered their initials on one side using the extra wool that I had. Please drop me a message if anyone would like to know the pattern to make this as it’s quite complicated to explain (although quite easy to execute!)

The whole blanket was made using: Yarn: ,Knitted on size 10 (UK) needles

Last Christmas I tried my hand at circular knitting- Snoods were everywhere on the high street and I wanted to experiment with some different stitches. I made myself a long purple snood and made a lovely green snood for my bf’s sister. Here are the images, I think that they both turned out quite well and I’m looking forward to perfect my circular knitting.


Currently, I’m knitting a large chunky scarf in a pale purple. I did make a mistake as all the diagonals were meant to have been facing the same direction, but I capitalised and alternated them- making it my own! The image shown is for a very long scarf but as I’m using a wool colour that has been discontinued, I may either stop when the wool runs out or use a different colour- maybe a pale pink or a different shade of purple....

Liberty of London have had weekend courses that cost £50 including a cup of tea and a discount at the shop cafe but when my friend called up, all the places had been fully booked. http://www.liberty.co.uk/fcp/content/NewsArchiveItem5/newsarchive L Never mind! There are actually free knitting classes at your local John Lewis store (if you go to the haberdashery section they should have a leaflet you can take) and my friend and I have both booked a class for this Saturday. With the abundance of Fair Isle knits (see D&G advert) I would like to start learning how to knit with 2 colours or more. I’ve seen some great patterns in the recent Rowan magazine num 48 (Russian doll spreads) and would definitely like to try knitting a dress.

Watch this space for further knitting tales!

No comments:

Post a Comment

google search

Blog Archive